A series following a chess genius doesn’t seem like it would be everyone’s favourite go to binge, but like the saying goes “this is chess not checker.” The story circles around a fictional 1960s-era chess superstar Beth Harmon (Anya Taylor-Joy) and is in fact based on the novel of the same name by author Walter Tevis. e The Queen’s Gambit has taken a long time to be released and we know why, the attention to detail will blow your mind! So here are a few behind-the-scenes secrets that makes the show even more captivating.
1. Actor Anya Taylor-Joy signed onto the project even before a script was created
All it took was her reading the book alone to join the full force as the main character.
2. The chess matches were really played
Even in scenes where the camera focuses on the actors, the game must go on!
3. The speed chess games were also real
It may seem impossible but there is no CGI involved. We might pick up chess now.
4. Beth’s wardrobe pieces were chess inspired because she’s obsessed
It’s only fair that a chess prodigy has head to toe looks inspired from the chessboard.
5. Anya was taught all of the chess moves before a scene was filmed, so everything was fresh in her mind
The actress had no prior experience playing chess hence why classes had to be held, to make the story flow right and seamlessly.