Your guide to the milestones of Petronas in F1.
1. It all started with the Petronas Motorsports Sponsorship Programme. Petronas began with sponsoring a local rally team. Then, expanded to other forms of motorsports, including F1 – the apex of motorcar racing.
2. In the early 90’s, Petronas slowly began its global expansion drive of augmenting its hydrocarbon reserves, and developing a world-class workforce (especially in Research and Development).
3. Petronas then positioned itself as a global brand when it sponsored the Red Bull Formula One team in 1995.
4. In 1997, Petronas became the title and engine sponsor for the Sauber Petronas Formula One team. Which marked the beginning of the Formula One Technology Programme – a programme for Petronas engineers to partake.
5. In 1999, Petronas secured the title sponsorship rights for the Formula One Malaysia Grand Prix. As well as unveiled the Petronas E01 Engine and developed the high-performance engine oil, the Petronas Syntium.
6. The Petronas Syntium 5000 was launched in 2004. By the Petronas Research and Scientific Services Laboratory for Formula One racing cars.
7. The partnership with Sauber was extended in 2005 when Petronas became the premium partner to the new BMW Sauber F1 team. Then, they initiated a driver development programme called, the Petronas Formula Xperience.
8. Petronas became the title partner to the Silver Arrows in 2009. Thus, the team was known as the Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport – a result of a partnership between Petronas and Mercedes-Benz. During this time, they signed Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher.
9. In 2012, Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 secured its first win in 57 years at the Chinese GP.
10. A year later, Lewis Hamilton joined the F1 team and became the technical performance consultant for Petronas.
11. The Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 team claimed its first Constructors’ and Drivers’ World Championships in 2014.
12. The team dominated again in 2015 to claim its second Constructors’ and Drivers’ World Championships!
13. During its strongest season in 2016, the Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 team won its third consecutive Constructors’ and Drivers’ World Championships, with 300 points ahead of its nearest rival.
14. Petronas formulated and supplied the tailor-made total fluid solutions to the Mercedes AMG Motorsport team. As well as supplied fuels and lubricants to Mercedes AMG, Force India, and Williams.
15. Petronas signs a new deal with Mercedes, solidifying their involvement in Formula One to keep on developing world-class products from the track, for everyday people to use on the road.